My First Few Days

I've been trying to find the time to sit down and write about the day I was born, but my life has been so busy lately. You know how it is.
 


Even though I really enjoyed being where I was for about 36 weeks, I decided it would probably be best for me to go ahead and show up fashionably early. Don’t worry. I gave Mommy and Daddy plenty of warning. In fact, they were even able to pick the day I was born!

From what I understand, when babies are born, usually the mommy and daddy frantically jump in their car and drive quickly. They hurry inside a place where the baby then appears suddenly or makes them wait for hours and hours—depending on each baby’s inclinations. I guess that’s pretty much what happened when my sister Ippi was born.

Here is a picture of the four of us, just before Mommy and Daddy and I went to the hospital. As you can see, everyone had time to smile as well as stop and pose for a picture. I’m the one in the middle.


We drove to the hospital and waited a long time. Turns out, there were a bunch of other babies born that day and three of them were more determined to be born sooner than me. But finally, the baby delivery people were all set. They got Mommy ready and they gave Daddy an outfit so he wouldn’t feel out of place hanging out with the doctors. But it would have been easy to pick him out. He was the one waiting out in the hall, fidgeting calmly until they let him come in and be with Mommy during my arrival.

We were in a big room with seven other people. All of them were experts at something. There were some doctors and nurses to deliver me. There were some other doctors and nurses who were there to help me after I was delivered. And there was a doctor who was there to make sure Mommy didn't feel too much pain. He was Mommy’s favorite doctor.

After everyone was ready, the baby doctor started a playlist of music . One of the songs he picked had also been played at Mommy and Daddy’s wedding! And the song playing the moment I was born was a song my grandfather used to sing!

So anyway, compared to many other births, mine was pretty laid back, in that my mommy was forced to lay back. But she is an amazing mommy and did whatever was best for me.

I was curled up and comfy as usual, but suddenly there were bright lights and I wasn't comfy at all! I was not happy, but Mommy and Daddy sure were.

Here’s me seeing Mommy for the first time.

Here’s me meeting Daddy.


It wasn’t long before everyone had me all curled up and comfy again. Except now it was better because I could see my Mommy’s face.


Then I met Grandmother and Aunt Julie and my sister Ippi!


The next 24 hours were kind of tough. Most of the time, I got to snooze and be with Mommy or Daddy. But my blood sugar was low, so the nurse had to come in every three hours and poke my heel and see if I was getting better. At one point, they were poking one of my heels every hour. It was not fun. Later, I thought it was kind of silly to suggest that I was low on sugar. Everyone knows little girls are made of sugar and spice, and I think I’m extra sweet. At the very least, whenever they kept poking my heels, I let them know I had plenty of spice. We were all very grateful when they finally decided I was sweet enough.


One day, the nurse came in and had the audacity to say that I needed a bath. I don’t know a lot about cultural etiquette, but I’m pretty sure that’s very rude.  I have to admit, although I did not appreciate the actual bath part, I did like getting my hair done. Being a girl might turn out to have its privileges.



I don’t remember exactly when, but things finally calmed down and I was able to relax. Any time the nurses came in, they would wrap me up tight. Here’s me, thoroughly swaddled. I think I look like an ad for Taco Bell.

Things got progressively better. I really enjoyed snoozing and spending time with Mommy and Daddy. All kinds of people came by to see me. I got to meet my Papa and Granny, uncles, aunts, cousins, many friends. It was kind of blur. Partly because there were so many people. Partly because I can’t see very far in front of my face.


The weather was mostly nice. I’m becoming a big fan of that stuff called sunshine.


One day, a woman came in and tested my hearing. I didn’t mind and there’s not much to say about it. But I wanted to include this picture because I think I look cool.


After a day or two, I started opening my eyes a lot. I got a big kick out of it, not only because it was interesting for me, but also because whenever I did it, everyone would get all excited. Here’s me eyeing my Daddy. He’s a little strange, but Mommy said he’s all right.


After three nights in the hospital, Mommy, Daddy, and I were all set to go home. The nurses helped us get ready and I got to ride with Mommy in a wheel chair.


I’m settled in at home now and doing really well. All in all, my first few days have been mostly exciting and fun. Based on what’s happened so far, I suspect life could end up being pretty interesting. I’ll get back to you on that.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Third Birthday